Super excited to be participating in Criminal Plots II, a reading challenge over at Jen's Book Thoughts. Despite the fact that I read 119 books last year* I rarely sign up for challenges because I read in all kinds of different genres and am easily distracted. But this, this is surely doable even for me.
The rules are simple: read six books this year that correspond to:
1. Novel with a weapon in the title;
2. Book published at least 10 years ago;
3. Book written by an author from the state/province/etc. where you live;
4. Book written by an author using a pen name;
5. Crime novel whose protagonist is the opposite gender of the author;
6. A stand-alone novel written by an author who writes at least one series.
I can do this!
In fact, I've already got the first three picked out:
1. Novel with a weapon in the title:
2. Book published at least 10 years ago:
(published in 1998, which is apparently more than 10 years ago although HOLY COW, REALLY??)
3. A stand-alone novel written by an author who writes at least one series:
Although I'm not sure if that last one counts; I love Elaine Viets' Francesca Vierling series, and as far as I can tell, this Josie Marcus entry, while being part of a different series, appears to be her only foodie mystery, so for me, it's a standalone. (Does that make sense? Discuss.)
I'll have to give that last one some thought. Culinary mysteries do have a tendency to appear as series, so it's not inconceivable that this is as standalone as I can manage. Either way though, I've been looking forward to this Viets book for quite some time, so I might have to devour it first. Nom nom nom.
Anyone else up for joining Jen's challenge?
*My GoodReads goal was 120. Missed it, by that much ][